Working with Alberta’s Working Alone Legislation
Since October 4, 2000 requirements for working alone were added to the General Safety Regulation Act. The legislation requires employers to perform these actions:
- conduct a hazard assessment to identify existing or potential safety hazards in the workplace associated with working alone;
- implement safety measures reducing the risk to workers from identified hazards;
- ensure that training is provided to workers;
- provide an effective way of communicating with the employer, supervisor, or other designated person - while employees are working alone.
The Select Answering Service can help you comply with this legislation.
We provide several superior communications service for employees who work alone.
Here’s how a typical operator supported work alone program works:
- Your employee calls us and signs on for duty
- The next check-in time is set either by company policy or by the employee based on degree of risk. (Usual intervals are 1-hour, 2-hour, ˝ day, full day. Intervals may vary if the employee is working at multiple sights during the day.)
- If an employee fails to check in a pre-planned company procedure is followed. This is a series of escalating steps: attempt to contact the employee, contact supervisors or managers if unsuccessful, and so on.
- If desired, we will take the initiative and contact your employees as per your policies.
This simple and effective work alone solution works. It has saved lives in the past, and it will save lives in the future. The program is economical and easy to administer.
Another option is
IVR Work Alone
. This work alone program allows employees to call in and set their own work alone call-backs within parameters set by their employer.
If an employee misses a check in the IVR system calls the employee's contact number first, and if unsuccessful then call alternate contact numbers.
If the automated system is not successful in contacting the employee then operators are notified. Our operators will then start contacting appropriate company personnel.
Whatever the work alone program, the safety of your employee is our priority.
The Select Companies have strength in numbers: four data-linked locations (Edmonton, Calgary, Grande Prairie, Red Deer), multiple staff on site 24/7/365, and secured hardware locations all mean that there are always trained staff on hand to handle any emergency.
for more information. We'll be happy to work out a program for you that protects your workers and works with your company's policies!
Top - Working Alone
Back to Select Answering Services